>

Thursday, January 12, 2017

MERRY

This is my first post for A Blog Named Hero Facebook Team which I was asked to join in December - I will be posting a card to carry out the monthly theme for ABNH the second and fourth Thursday every month. The theme for the January challenge is "New to Me" - this can be a new stamp, a new technique, new anything.


I chose to use a "new to me" technique - painting with alcohol inks.  TaeEun has colored flowers with alcohol inks, but i have no idea how she really does this - so I decided to just do my own thing.  First I gold heat embossed the flowers and leaves (from the April My Monthly Hero Kit).  Then I added cranberry, watermelon and shell pink inks, wet a small brush with blending solution and just played around with the color.  Did the same for the leaves with lettuce and botanical inks.  Since I kind of went out of the lines while doing this, I put some ink on an acrylic block with some blending solution and painted all around the leaves and flower.  Wasn't intending to make a Christmas card, but since the flower looked like a poinsettia, I went along with that.  Lastly I put some of the green on my brush and spattered it.  Added some gold seed beads and the glitter sentiment backed with black.

This card goes along with the following challenges:
CAS Mix-Up (liquid inks, stamping and embossing)
Happy Little Stampers Christmas (anything goes)
A Blog Named Hero (new to me)



Remember to stop by A Blog Named Hero Facebook page and A Blog Named Hero for the latest Hero Arts inspiration and to enter the monthly challenge!  

Thanks for visiting today and reading your comments makes my day!

23 comments:

  1. Oh, Betty this looks gorgeous! Your image looks like it is watercolored! I haven't used a brush for alcohol inks before but it could be a good tool to color using alcohol ink when it mixed with blending solution!!! I should try this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow--I never use my alcohol inks, but this is just stunning so may have to try it! Thanks for the inspiration, Betty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful experimenting, Betty, and congrats on your new DT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on your very first A Blog Named Hero FB post and wow what a beautiful card!! You made it look so easy!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW ... your painting with alcohol inks is so beautiful Betty. I will try the technique you mentioned. I did painting with AIs yesterday (will post soon), but didn't have any instruction so just "winged it" and it turned out OK, but nothing like yours.

    You have a gorgeous card with a beautiful layout and design. Thanks so much for sharing with us at CAS Mix Up! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. So happy you decided to join us! I hope you will come back again. I love the alcohol ink you used on your card. The image and the layout is so nice. Thanks for playing along with ABNH.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful card! Love the flower and how you colored it, and love the gold sentiment die, especially that you backed it with black. Make it stand out! Have to try it myself. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is awesome, Betty! I'm trying to get some practice in on alcohol inks and this makes me want to master them even more! What a gorgeous flower and background! Thanks so much for sharing with us at CAS Mix Up and congratulations on being asked to be on the DT at ABNH!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just love how this turned out, Betty - gorgeous inking!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How wonderful Betty - your card is stunning and the colors so vibrant :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice! Nice that you go with the look and then there's a Christmas card. So pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't tried painting with alcohol inks - interesting technique! I love your soft shades of green and the splatter - a nice contrast to the red flower. Since I'm on both Design Teams, I'm thanking you for joining in at CAS Watercolour and at Happy Little Stampers!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have never used this technique... but after getting a look at this beautiful card you have inspired me to give it a try. Great work! Congrats on your joining the Design Team. You are off to a sensational start!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is absolutely gorgeous, Betty! I think you used your alcohol inks perfectly on the flower and leaves, and your background is amazing! Great idea to turn it into a Christmas card, too! And, it looks like you've given TaeEun a new idea for her alcohol inks...how cool is that :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think your painting with the alcohol inks turned out perfectly... your card is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Betty, love the look of this. Nicely done. Hope you are feeling better. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful card! This sounds like a fun technique. Thank you for sharing your card with us at a Blog Named Hero.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's so beautiful.... love your background for this amazing flower, well done

    Have a nice day

    ReplyDelete
  19. I would never have thought of painting with alcohol ink! Your creative design is gorgeous and the beads in the centre of the flower are a fabulous finishing touch. Congrats on your new DT spot too!
    Thanks for sharing with us at Happy Little Stampers Christmas Challenge.
    Hugs
    Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  20. GORGEOUS card Betty...love it!! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful card and love the colors. Thanks for sharing.

    Linda D.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Betty! This is LOVELY. :) Thanks so much for joining us at A Blog Named Hero!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, so beautiful!!! I've never tried alcohol inks before, but Tae Eun makes me want to go out and buy them all! Thanks for joining us over at A Blog Named Hero!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave comments - they make my day!